Everybody Has A Story To Tell

Sunday 25 September 2016

SHORT STORY: What's Mine is Not by Thercee Murdee

By 09:24
'Ade is really getting on my nerves. And this is not the first time, for the upteenth time now she keeps doing this, and i dont know if its just to spite me, what kind of friend is this?' Shade kept thinking to herself as she hurriedly boarded a bus to Akpapava.

She had to see her nephew today before he traveled with his mum, her sister since their return was uncertain. For three months now, her sister had been preparing to leave the country. Thank God everything had finally worked out.

'Very soon', she thought, 'she'll send for me'. As she alighted the bus, her last encounter with Ade flashed through her mind again.

'Not now' she said to herself. Let me have fun, I'll deal with that girl later.

'Aunty Shad!!! ' her 4years old nephew called out. She always wondered why the 'e' sound of her name flew out of the boy's tongue whenever he pronounced her name.
Given his cuteness in and out, she was never offended.

'Good afternoon Sis ', she greeted her elder sister as she hugged tightly her nephew who jumped on her as she stepped into the three bedroom apartment.

'Shade dear, how's everything with you and your roommate. I hope this one is good this time around'.

'Not now', she thought.

'I don't want to start talking about that girl again', she replied back.

'Haba! What's happening? Her sister asked her as she came out of the kitchen with two plates of potato chips and egg, her nephew's favourite meal.

They both laughed as they watched him jump out of her arms ready to devour the meal. This was one of the things she was going to miss about them;eating together as a family. Her Sister never joined in the meal. She'll only sit at the table watching everyone else as they ate.

'So tell me Shade what is actually going on with you and your roommate?'

Hmm!she sighed, 'Sis, it has not been funny living with Ade. She's a good girl i won't fail to admit. Intelligent too and you know that always gets me pleased. But..there's just this annoying behavior of hers that's really upsetting me . Today it happened again and I'm just tired. I'm considering moving out'.

'What! Her sister screamed. 'Has it gotten to that already. You guys just started leaving together for two months and you are considering leaving. Come on, that's not reasonable. Tell me, what exactly is the issue'.

'Ok this is it. She continued. 'There is virtually nothing apart from my clothes that she doesn't request for.
I understand that she doesn't have them as much as I do, but its not my fault that i have na. The annoying part is that recently she has even stopped taking permission. I get to find out on my own that she has made use of my stuff. So I'm tired. Let me leave and then, everybody will manage what they have.'

After saying all of that, Shade excused herself to clear the table. She and her nephew were done eating.

'Aunty Shad, mummy, tank you for the food', her well behaved nephew said in his cute voice and ran to play with his toys.

Whenever she spoke with her sister, it was amazing to see him not interrupt them.
As she washed the dishes and tidied the kitchen, she wondered what her sister's response would be, seeing how she already objected her thought of leaving, she doubted she'll speak in her favor. Still she knew she'll have to listen to her. No matter , her only sis always have had her back since when they were much younger and had to survive without their parents who died when she was just 6years old.

'Shade' her sister called as she entered the parlour. Please listen to what i have to say and make the best decision you can. You are a big girl now, I won't force my will on you'

*************************************
Its funny how people change.
Her visit indeed was timely and more than she anticipated. Even if she cried as she left because she wasn't going to see her sister and nephew for a really long time, she was glad she got the solution to her problem with Ade. She left her sister's house, a better person. As the bus heading back to her place located in Uselu, moved on, she recalled all her sister had told her. Immediately she alighted the bus, she ran into her room shouting her roommate's name.

'Ade!! Where are you oo'?

'I'm here', Ade replied.'Is something wrong?'
She saw the panic wtitten on her face. 'Fear not', she teased. I just want to tell you something, please seat'.

Ade sat close to her on the bed, waiting to hear what she had to say.

'My dear', she began. 'My big sister reminded me about something today as we spoke. 'That all I have is actually not mine but Gods. So if He chooses to take everything from me, I'm nothing and I'm noone to stop him. Meaning its useless holding back my stuff and claiming they belong to me. Please feel free to take anything with or without my permission. As far as you are not wasting it, then there is no problem'.

She saw the surprise on Ade's face before she eventually spoke·

'Shade why this sermon as if say you be pastor? You don't withhold anything from me na...but I've heard you quite alright.' They both laughed.

As Ade stood up and left, she said to herself 'if only you knew my plans to leave here, you'll not have said that. I just thank God for my sister who made me understand better today that what's mine is not.

THE END
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

0 comments:

Post a Comment